Friday, January 6, 2012

Density Lab: ELD/SDC Day 3- Properties/Assessment/Observations of Liquids

This week I have a new student from Somalia and I needed to make sure that he could be successful. So as an opener we reviewed the properites of a liquid. I started with what are the 3 states of matter and students responded: solid, liquids and gas. I asked for examples around the room. Then, we did the hand movements: fist for solid, fingers moving for liquid and gas fingers moving out. 
I have bottles filled with colored water, oil, hand lotion, clear corn syrup, and fabric softener.  I instructed the students that they were not to open the bottles, but that they could roll, shake, and swirl the bottles.  Then, I showed different posters with the properties: has color, bubbly, foamy, transparent, translucent, viscous, opaque. Next, I had students sort into two lines for the following: transparent/translucent, viscous/not viscous, color/no color.
Next, I gave them the Salad Dressing Assessment.  8 of them answered A- The oil will always be on the top and 4 answered C- it is random, sometimes the oil will be on the top and sometimes it will be on the bottom.All students were able to draw a picture and most were able to write one sentence explaining their thinking.  Here are some of the answers:
  • A-Because oil is lighter than vinegar
  • A-Because when you shake it. It will go up because it separates from vinegar. Then, it went up.
  • A-I think it is the same as oil and water
  • C- Because it is random oil separates everywhere and sometimes vinegar goes down or up.
  • C- Because it is random
I gave out observation sheets that shows the senses and we filled in the title: Observation of 4 liquids and the columns: blue, yellow, green and pink.  I talked to them about being careful with the liquids and if there is a spill to let me know and clean it up with paper towels. I instructed them in the proper way to smell the liquid through wafting. 
We observed each liquid together in their small groups of 2-3.  They filled out their observation charts as I charted their answers on a big chart. We practiced orally sentences like-I see the liquid has a light pink color. I see the liquid is transparent, I noticed that the liquid is not viscous, I noticed that the liquid smells like the stuff they put on my arm when I get a shot at the hospital, etc.
On Monday, we will review the observations.  Then, start with the 2 layer pours.

No comments:

Post a Comment