Thursday, January 5, 2012

Density Lab: Day 1:Question of the Day: What is Density?

Today, we started the Liquid Density unit.  I  looked at Carl's Day 1 and asked students- What is Density? We have just completed studying states of matter, but students have not had enough experience with this idea so I decided to give them a little more direction and told them that all objects have density. Some objects are more dense and some are less dense.  I showed them a water balloon and a balloon filled with air that was about the same size. I put the two balloons in the hands of the Level 1 ELD so that they could feel the density.We worked on the words: less dense and more dense.  I also gave them a ping pong ball and a golf ball to reinforce the less dense and more dense.  Then, made a T-chart and drew and labeled things that they knew about.  When I drew the pictures I showed the particles. In the less, I drew a few dots and in the more, I drew alot of dots packed in together. 
The students started coming up with their own ideas of less and more dense- beach ball and bowling ball, and granite and pumice. Their homework was to go home and find other examples of things that are less dense and more dense. 
Tomorrow, we will review less and more dense by sorting some more objects with partners on a T-chart labeled more and less. 

No comments:

Post a Comment